Kannur Cantonment is the Military establishment of Kerala State, being one of the 62 military Cantonments of India,falling of Class III category among the Cantonments, while it is accomplished with St. Angelo Fort, St. Thomas Orthodox Church and Holy Trinity Cathedral, which was earlier a military camp for Dutch, Portuguese and British rulers, before it was formed as a Cantonment.
Kannur City is the nearest attraction where one can visit Muzhappilangad, Meenkunnu, Payyambalam and Thottada beaches, SreeMuthappan, PallikkannuMookambika temples, St Angelo Fort,Pazhazzi Dam,Arakkal Museum, Arakkal Mosque, MGS KalariSangam and Kerala Folk Academy, which are places of interest.
Kannur Cantonment came into existence of the 19th century during Britishraj, providing residential facility to both military and civil population, which was under the control of Arakkal Kingdom until 1909 before British acquired it from ArakkalBeevi Rani ImbichiAdi-Raja Bibi, later when India obtained Independence, it came under the jurisdiction of Indian Army, now functioning as a strategic location for Indian Army.
For administering the facilities and controlling the area, Cannanore Cantonment Board (Kannur was called Cannanore during British times) was formed of 1938, with 8 members, four of them elected from the civilian population, while the Officer of Command holding the position of the Chairman of the Board.
Kannur Cantonment residential has a population around 4700 as per the Census of India 2001, 65% of the population belonging to Males and the remaining 35% Females, literacy rate going upto 89% and the population below 6 years of age forming 8%, while significant number of members of Anglo Indian community lives of Kannur Cantonment area.
How to Reach Kannur Cantonment
Kannur Cantonment is approachable by Rail and Road, the Kannur Railway junction is connected to various superfast and express trains stopping at Kannur, while road travel by KSRTC buses or Taxis will be equally pleasant, as Kerala roads are not only well kept, traffic management has been superb with proper speed controls, while the roads have excellent greenery on both sides making the traveller even more happier.
The nearest airport being Kozhikode Airport, which is of about 93 km distance, from which place one can reach Kannur and Kannur Cantonment by road of about 90 minutes, by road, while there are trains connecting these two places.
Kannur Cantonment Board provides all civic amenities and educational facilities for the residents of Cantonment are available of and around the Cantonment area.