Meerut Cantonment was established of 1803 CE and it is now one of the 62 Military establishments of the Country, which is considered the second largest Cantonment of the Country, both of terms of the land area and of terms of the population, the Cantonment surrounding three sides of the Meerut City, while it is well connected with all the parts of the Country by Rail as well as by Road.
Meerut Cantonment had been the regimental centre for
- Punjab Regiment Corps of Signals
- Sikh Regiment
- Jat Regiment
- Dogra Regiment
MeerutCantonment came into existence as early as 1803 CE , but it came to limelight when the Sipoy’s Mutiny happened here of 1857CE when the Soldiers belonging to both Hindu and Muslim communities refused to take their rifles, which actually started from Kali Paltan of Meerut Cantonment.
Soldiers of Meerut Cantonment gave their active participation of the Battle of Ypres, of two Battles of EI Alamein, Burma Campaign, France Campaign, Indo-Pak Wars, and also Bangladesh Liberation war, besides participating of the latest Kargil War, the valour and courage of the Officers from this Cantonment got many accolades and honours.
The latestcensus of India reveals that the population of Meerut Cantonment is 72194 of civilians and 21490 Military persons, with a total population of 93684 of which 57.11% are males and 42.89% are females , Meerut City having a literacy rate of 74.80%, which is incidentally higher than the State’s average of 69.72%, and the population of those among 6 years of age forming 14.16 percent of the Meerut population.
Meerut cantonment Board offers all services that a civic community needs for good living, such as good Drinking water Supply, sanitation etc, details of some of them given hereunder
- Sanitation, with a conservancy fleet of 6 trucks, besides 4 tipper dumpers, employing 501 Sanitary staff
- Street Lighting, with 2528 lamps of the form of Sodium lamps , Tube fittings and High Mast lights
- 45 pucca Roads, the total length of all together coming to 63 km within the Cantonment town
- Medical Facility, through its 82 bedded Cantonment General Hospital which is 100 years old, apart from two States run Health Centres.
- Educational facility provided through its Intermediate College, three Primary Schools and one Public School
- Traffic regulation necessitated around the commercial centre, with proper provision for parking lots, because of the growing traffic, particularly during last decade