Mhow is a Cantonment establishment at Indore of the State of Madhya Pradesh, which was established of 1818 CE and it is now one of the 62 Military establishments of the Country, located 23 km away from the Indore City on the Mumbai Agra Road, which is now renamed as Dr. Ambedkar Nagar, because Indore was the birthplace of Dr. Ambedkar.
Mhow now houses three of the training institutions of Indian Army, namely, The Infantry School, The Army War College and the Military College of Telecommunication Engineering.
Interestingly, Mhow which functioned as the District Headquarters for the Meter gauge Rails, during British regime and even after Independence, continues to have Meter gauge lines only, while rest of the country is developed with Broad gauge Railway lines.
Mhow Cantonment was established of the year 1818 CE consequent to the Treaty of Mandsaur between the English and the Maraha Maharajas of Indore, Holkars, when John Malcolm's forces of British India Army defeated the Holkars at the Battle of Mahidpur that year.
Mhow Cantonment then onwards used to be the headquarters of the 5th Division of the Southern Command while British were ruling India, while today this small settlement is part of Indian Army.
The 2001census of India accounts for Mhow Cantonment population as 85,053 of which 54% are males and 46% are females, Mhow having a literacy rate of 72%, which is incidentally higher than the Nationalaverage of 59.5%, and the population of those among 6 years of age forming 12 percent of the Mhow population.
Besides Mhow Cantonment Board taking care of the basic amenities, Mhow has many other facilities as described here:
- Mhow maintains three premier training institutes for Indian Army, namely The Infantry School, The Army War College and Military College of Telecommunication Engineering.
- There are 13 Madhya Pradesh State Board Schools and 10 CBSE Schools run at Mhow.
- There are 6 Colleges and 4 National level Professional educational units of Mhow Tehsil, besides three venues for distance learning
- As many as 14 Banks are operating at Mhow.
- Quite a few Picnic spots and Temples are around Mhow.