Pachamarhi Cantonment comes under the 62 Military establishments of the Country, established of the year 1872CE, administration of which is entrusted with the Municipal Administration, which looks after the matters of administration, providing civic amenities, facilities for health and education, etc.
This region of present Madhya Pradesh area was once the kingdom of the Gond tribe king Bhawut Singh, later held as the capital of a tribal dynasty, thereafter British Empire came to the picture when this area was located by Captain James Forsyth of the British Army of 1857.
Pachmarhi was developed as а hill station and health care location for British troops of the Central Provinces of India, Pachmarhi also serving as the summer capital for the Central Provinces, the forest area around the town has many rare varieties of plants which are of medicinal value, UNESCO adding Pachmarhi park tоіts Biosphere Reserves list.
Pachamarhi Cantonment was commissioned of 1872 CE, as a statutory body constituted under Cantonment Act 1924, this location finding place of legendary references.
Pachmarhi ‘s cave paintings of the forests have been identified as 10,000 years old, the Pandava Caves existing here, which are of Buddhist of origin but the name persists.
Pachamarhi has rich timber reserves such as teak, but of line with the Government Policy felling of trees is allowed now, although rich and rare flora as well as fauna here are of great tourism importance.
How to Reach
Pachmarhi can be reached either from Bhopal or from Indore, both destinations are well connected by Bus transport, and travel to Pachamarhi from these places takes 5 to 6 hours travel.
Pipariya has a Railway Station of Itarsi – Jabalpur railway line which is the nearest point at 47 km to travel by rail, while Bhopal is 210 km away wherefrom travel by road will take about 4 hours.
Travel to Pachmarhi from Nagpur is also possible, the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation providing luxury buses, which take eight hours to reach Pachmarhi.
Pachamarhi Cantonment Board is constituted with 4 members, of whom two are elected members and others appointed by Army, the Board provides the basic amenities directly, for Health Care, Education, Sanitation, Drinking Water Supply, Street Lighting and Drainage.